[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] Fighting the Zope 2.9 testrunner

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Mar 22 12:25:41 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
> I still don't understand why people whine about "make install" being
> gone. The point of a checkout is that you have a full functional SVN
> working copy, not an installation source. If you want to install things,
> use a TGZ archive which lets you do "make install" perfectly fine. I've
> never installed Zope anywhere except on production servers anyway, and
> there you should obviously use releases.

I'm one of those whiners, so I'll give a quick recap:

I like to work with instances, not in the Zope tree, no matter whether
I'm dealing with a checkout or with a release.

Another reason to have 'make install' work in svn is to actually *test*
whether it works. There were various problems in early releases that
probably wouldn't have occured if this had been easier to test -- there
was for instance a testrunner that wasn't installed.

Anyway, a release and the development situation looking similar helps
people actually work on the same codebase and structure, and not having
to learn different ways of doing things as soon as they switch. Forcing
context switches on people isn't a good idea.

Regards,

Martijn