[Zope3-dev] Re: Releasing Zope 3.4

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Apr 10 18:12:22 EDT 2007

Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're running late on the Zope 3.4 release for about two weeks. (That's
> pretty much my fault as I was way to busy and didn't yell out that I
> was.)
>
> I'd like to do Zope 3.4a1 ASAP. I'm pretty sure that I don't have time
> to do the actual release though. As soon as we have the 3.4a1, I'll
> update the release plan to match the following phases.
>
> However, there are currently two bugs assigned to the Zope 3.4a1 release
> in launchpad that could be moved for the beta unless we feature freeze
> in the alpha already, I don't remember our policy on that and couldn't
> find any hint in the wiki.
>
> So, two things:
>
> - I'd like some support for those two bugs
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3/+bug/98338
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope3/+bug/98467
>   to triage and/or fix them?
>
> - I need a volunteer to make the actual Zope 3.4a1 release.

For Zope releases <=3.3 we used procedures described in
http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/MakingARelease. The procedure for making a
release is relatively easy because

* one tag is needed

* one command is needed to create a tarball (zpkg)

We need to update this procedure to account for the new egg-based
procedure. In particular, we should solve the following issues:

* Will we create the tarball with zpkg? What about the Windows release?

* We probably want to release eggs of all Zope 3 packages at the same
   time. This raises the following questions:

   - I think we need to tag all individual packages as well.

   - If so, WHO tags them? (I would hope that we can determine
     maintainers for each zope.* package who will start maintaining the
     release cycles of the individual packages). Tagging basically also
     means updating setup.py.

   - Who physically creates the eggs and uploads them to the CheeseShop
     and/or download.zope.org?

   - That last point raises another question: Do we upload things to the
     CheeseShop, to download.zope.org or to both?

I think we should answer these questions first so that we can actually
go ahead with the release. I'll be happy to play a part in some of those
steps, but I would prefer a clearly laid out procedure first. Release
chaos with close to a hundred eggs would destroy us otherwise...