[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.viewlet breaking buildout?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 16 16:51:33 EDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Dave, please don't reply to other threads. Thread association
> doesn't usually happen by Subject line but by mail headers...
>
> David Pratt wrote:
>> Hi. I have already managed to repackage a couple of apps using
>> eggs only zope (zc.zope3recipes on svn.zope.org). Yesterday, I
>> began creating another eggs-only application as a test however
>> this app requires z3c.viewlet. The z3c.viewlet package has a
>> dependency upon zope.viewlet. When running the buildout stopped
>> during the zope egg installation. I deleted the zope.viewlet egg
>> and reran the buildout and it stopped at the same point. Hoping
>> someone can advise if this a possible problem with zope.viewlet or
>> how I might debug this a bit more to complete the buildout. Many
>> thanks.
>> Regards,
>> David
>> The error in the buildout is as follows:
>> buildout: Installing testapp
>> zc.buildout.easy_install: Getting new distribution for zope.viewlet
>> zc.buildout.easy_install: Got zope.viewlet 3.4dev-r73833
>> Couldn't find index page for 'PILwoTk' (maybe misspelled?)
>> zc.buildout.easy_install: Getting new distribution for PILwoTk
>> While:
>>   Installing testapp
>>   Getting distribution for PILwoTk
>> Error: Couldn't find a distribution for PILwoTk.
>
> zope.viewlet doesn't depend on PILwoTk. The above output from
> buildout doesn't even say that it is (it was getting a *new*
> distribution for zope.viewlet accidentally at the same time, it
> seems). A google search for PILwoTk only turned up references to
> z3c.image [1].
>
> [1] http://svn.zope.org/z3c.image/trunk/setup.py?
> rev=73464&sortby=log&view=diff&r1=73464&r2=73463&p1=z3c.image/trunk/
> setup.py&p2=/z3c.image/trunk/setup.py

Buildout needs to provide more help in this situation.

PILwoTk is a special distribution of PIL that I created that installs
with setuptools (easy_install or buildout) and doesn't require Tk. :)

I'd be happy to make it more widely available.  AFAIK, there isn't
any other distribution of PIL that installs cleanly with setuptools.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org