[Zope3-dev] Re: a bug in the Zope 3 (and 2) page template engine

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Apr 20 08:41:03 EDT 2007

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 4/20/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>> No, the current expectation is that it works, whatever the replacement
>> is. This currently works in Zope 2.8:
>
> You'll need to explain how silently dropping the tal:attributes on the
> floor was ever "it works".

Sorry about being unclear. Of course you can argue about whether this is
correct behavior or not. That was not my point.

I was trying to make sure you understood the issue here: the
getCompilerError exception occurs no matter whether the replace text
starts with an element or not. You seemed to be saying it only happened
in the latter case.

> At any rate, backward compatibility reigns in the page template
> engine, no matter how misguided I feel this behavior may be.

Right. I agree that the behavior is somewhat unexpected (I didn't expect
it), though I can see it potentially being useful.

Regards,

Martijn