[Zope3-dev] Zope 3.4, eggs and windows

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Apr 21 16:20:03 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I have some questions about the Zope 3.4 release. My apologies if this
information is already available somewhere else.

I've just uploaded z3c.widget to download.zope.org/distribution, but ran
into a new snag: it properly lists a whole bunch of dependencies in its
setup.py that are currently Zope core packages, and thus post-3.3.

I'm still developing against Zope 3.3 and using z3c.widget would
therefore lead to a mix of Zope 3.3 and post 3.3 (3.4) packages in my
installation. It's like to avoid this. Is there is a way to suppress the
automatic download of dependencies for a particular egg in buildout?

A manual hack is to upload a private version of z3c.widget somewhere
that has a different dependency list and then refer to that.

Instead of hacking, I could also decide to start relying on an eggified
Zope 3.4 right away. I've heard some discussion though that makes me
wonder whether an eggified release of Zope 3.4 will be fully cooked.
This leads to some questions:

* I don't believe the 3.4 alpha eggs have been uploaded anywhere yet, right?

* my application needs to run on Windows as well as Linux. This is one
of the reasons using an eggified Zope 3 is in fact attractive, as *if*
there are Windows eggs available, everything should work all right on
Windows automatically. It is therefore important that binary Windows
eggs are indeed available for the appropriate Zope 3 and ZODB packages.
Is there a plan for providing these? I'm hoping Sidnei will pop up and
say, oh, yeah, all taken care of. :)

Regards,

Martijn