[Zope3-dev] SHA1Password manager, add a pinch of salt

Giovannetti, Mark giovanne at nrcan.gc.ca
Mon Apr 23 12:03:54 EDT 2007

Hi Dimitry,

You make a point, although I would expect a reference
implementation to be as good as possible.  Hence, improvements
can be encouraged and, perhaps, the security bar raised.
Adding this salt patch allows a better, more secure reference
implementation.

Surely, welcoming obvious improvements that will save some
other zope developer from re-implementing a secure /etc/passwd
equivalent is desirable.

A note is likely to make the potential zope developer sigh
and realize that there is more work for them to do.

Don't get me wrong, I will be using LDAP in the future, but
for many zope implementations, a good local passwd file is
and can be secure enough for people who care about security.
I do, which is why I took the time to write this patch.

Anyway, I hope I've convinced you!  If not, c'est la vie!

Mark

P.S.
Python 2.5 has hashlib which supports sha224, sha256 and so forth.
I may look into adding support for those hashes to password
when zope has been updated for 2.5.