[Zope3-dev] Re: Autoconfiguring a site.zcml

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 23 14:29:29 EDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> David Pratt wrote:
>> Hi Jim. I guess I missed the boat on app construction which I have
>> clarified hopefully below. I am speaking of using zc.zope3recipes.
>> As far as site.zcml. I think I'll need to experiment. At this
>> point I see a strong incentive to automate. Too many packages -
>> too little time and too many errors without. I want z3 development
>> to be fast and enjoyable and I don't want to hate configuration
>> but I honestly hate trial and error approaches. This is where I
>> feel I am at with the site.zcml - particularly reconstituting zope
>> and apps from packages and eggs in this context (particularly with
>> the ordering of includes). Many thanks.
>>

> David and Jim,
>
> As far as I can determine from this thread (I have some difficulty
> following parts of David's long mail as well) you two are agreeing. :)
>
> Jim, is it correct that you'd like the zope 3 recipe to grow an
> option to auto-construct a site.zcml based on egg dependencies?

No.  I suggested that packages that have ZCML and that depend on
other packages that have ZCML should include the ZCML of the packages
they depend on.  If this was common practice, then I don't think that
constructing a site ZCML would be that hard.

> Tres's argument is that since there is no system to override ZCML
> auto-inclusion of configuration should not be implemented yet. But
> Jim seems to disagree with this (and I do too).

There isn't a good way to cancel configuration done by included
packages.  I've found that in practice this usually doesn't matter,
but I agree with Tres that it is a significant hole.

> I also don't understand David's problem with buildout times. The
> option -N helps a lot. Jim, is there anything to say for actually
> making -N the default behavior of buildout?

No, But I can say something against it. :) Making it the default
would make buildout's default behavior less deterministic.  It is
easy for people to change the default for their own use by putting:

    [buildout]
    newest = false

in their ~/.buildout/default.cfg file.

Jim