[Zope3-dev] zc.zope3recipes comment

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Apr 24 10:19:25 EDT 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just ran into a minor confusion with zc.zope3recipes. It created
> a script for me to start my instance in bin, which is very nice, so
> I can sipmly do things like "bin/<instance> fg" to get it started,
> instead of having to worry about parts.
>
> It did lead to some confusion though. I have gotten in the habit of
> looking at the path settings of the generated scripts in bin to
> identify buildout problems. I was surprised to find that the
> instance script only listed a few eggs, instead of the full suite
> needed to run Zope.
>
> After a bit of searching, I found out that the eggs *are* listed in
> a runzope script under "parts".
>
> There are probably good reasons why this is so. What are these
> reasons?

The control script is just an extended form of zdaemon.  It doesn't
do anything but invoke the application scripts.  It doesn't need any
of the application eggs to do it's work.

> Can we do something to make those reasons not exist anymore?

We could pointlessly include extra eggs in the control script's path.

> Or is this inherent to the way things get daemonized?

The fact that the control script doesn't actually run any application
code and therefore doesn't need any application eggs is inherent in
the way zdaemon works.  If it wasn't for the extensions to support
the run and debug verbs, the control script would be a simple zdaemon
wrapper.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org