[Zope3-dev] Zope egg dependencies and tests

Christian Zagrodnick cz at gocept.com
Thu Apr 26 02:14:13 EDT 2007

Hi there,

now there those wonderful eggs for Zope 3. Apart from the permission
problem we ran into lately there is another one with those eggs:

The dependencies aren't set right.

Apparently nobody every ran the tests of those eggs. This is no wonder.
When developing you need to checkout Zope 3 instead of the egg source.
The Zope 3 tests would pass of course since everything is in place
there.

I think we should move the actual code to the eggs as soon as possible
and put the externals into the Zope 3 source. Otherwise nobody ever
will run the egg tests.

Also we need to take care of depending on certain versions. For
instance zope.location required a recent version of zope.proxy (>3.3).
And it's definitely better to say "I need >3.3 but can't find it"
during buildout than "zope.proxy has no module named decorator"
somewhere when starting the application.

So, how do we get out of this? :)

--
Christian Zagrodnick

gocept gmbh & co. kg  ·  forsterstrasse 29 · 06112 halle/saale
www.gocept.com · fon. +49 345 12298894 · fax. +49 345 12298891