[Zope3-dev] zope.rdb error and zope.publisher error

Maciej Wisniowski maciej.wisniowski at coig.katowice.pl
Thu Apr 26 17:09:17 EDT 2007

> I would personally be in favour of just ripping out DatabaseException
> entirely and letting the original errors propagate. It's caused me a lot
> of pain in the past by hiding real problems.
>
> I have never seen any use for it.
I think zope/rdb tries to be as general as possible, so using
DatabaseException for all RDBMS errors may be sometimes desirable
especially if someone builds application that
shouldn't be bound to one, specific database adapter. But I think it
is rather rare(?) situation, and there are still generic errors
like cx_oracle.Error or psycopg.Error. They're DBMS aware but
it shouldnt be hard to write a common handler or something like
that if someone has to just handle all DBMS errors at once.

Current implementation may cause some problems if someone needs real
errors standarized by python dbapi.
For me it would be cleaner to just have standard dbapi errors in Zope.

--
Maciej Wisniowski