[Zope3-Users] Re: content type name

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Wed Dec 1 09:59:37 EST 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 09:50, Tom Dossis wrote:
> > The content type interfaces correspond to portal_type/meta_type. Strings
> > (really, unicode string) are only necessary for user presentation. This
> > is covered by menu entries most of the time. If you have other use
> > cases, feel free to present them here and we'll discuss them.
>
> That's it exactly - I'm after the simple string for user presentation.
>
> However my application isn't browser based, rather a gui which currently
> is a fat client in that it accesses zope3 directly.  I guess it should
> probably have it's own presentation view, but I don't want to tackle
> that at this stage.
>
> In any case, a user could be viewing content other than in a browser.
> For example, in an xmlrpc based folder listing to a character terminal,
> it may be desirable to include a content type string.

You should really create own menu with its own entries.

If you are not able to do this right now, I think it would be best to use the
factory title. Simply look up all factories and check wether the interfaces
the factory-created object (there is an API call for that) matches the one
you have given.

Phillip and Jim:
In general, I think we did a mistake by not using the factory title and
description for the browser's add menu. Almost any representation type wants
that data anyways and it should be the same for all presentation types. The
factory's title and description are presentation independent and would work
here well. Of course, you should be able to provide your own title and
description for the browser menu, if you like.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter