[Zope3-Users] Q: Custom containers, non-persistent items

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Wed Nov 10 02:47:27 EST 2004

First, this is very much a newbie question, so apologies in advance.
Yesterday I sent this note to zope3-dev before this list was created,
but this question clearly isn't meant for zope3-dev.

I'm trying to fill in the example in
zope/app/container/sample.py->SampleContainer.  My ultimate goal is to
traverse a custom container, grab the next item, and look it up in
Berkeley DB XML.  For example, dbxmlfolder/37 would look up an item
"37" in the DBXML and return some HTML that I generate.

sample.py->SampleContainer has a method _newContainerData where you
supply a mapping.  I have wired this up, returning an empty dictionary,
and I can browse to dbxmlfolder.  I can't, though, browse to any items
in the dictionary.

(Yesterday I had a complex traceback, but this was due to something
dumb in the ZCML I wired in.)

I've tried a few things, but I'm clearly flailing.  Thus some questions:

1) Are the keys for this dictionary simple strings?

2) Are the values...errr, special in any way?  For example, can I just
put instances of Python classes that aren't wired into the CA (so I can
skip debugging ZCML, interfaces, factories, views, etc. until I get
past this traceback)?

Stated differently, what is the least amount of work to get
_newContainerData to return non-empty sample information when
traversing to an item?  I'm looking for something like Bobo's
publishable mappings.

Thanks for any insight!

--Paul