[Zope3-Users] To Subclass, or to Adapt?

James Allwyn jamesallwyn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 06:36:53 EDT 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I get this - because the real world objects
that my Zope objects are representing really are sub
classes of 'Accommodation', it makes sense to use
sub-classes to represent them. This is the "in any
system" part of your categorisation - they really are
sub-classes, so it would make sense to represent them
as such "in any system".

Now, I think our rating scheme fits more into the
second category:

> if the
> additional feature you try
> to implement has to do with the object's behavior in
> the system, it should be
> in an adapter.

This rating scheme will be a specific feature of this
system. Here we might want to calculate a 'marks out
of ten' rating for accommodation, but if the objects
were re-used in another system, that system may want
to look at them and give them a five-star rating, or a
percentage rating (or whatever). Does this make sense?

If so, I guess we will be building an adapter along
similar lines to the size adapter both Stephan and
Phillip use as an example in their books - maybe
create an IRating interface, and create adapters for
each of the sub-classes to adapt those to IRating?

Thanks for the help,
James

--- Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu>