[Zope3-Users] Site Statistics

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Aug 28 19:23:07 EDT 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 04:59, James Allwyn wrote:
> In our site we want to be able to gather various
> statistics, such as how many times a particular
> accommodation has appeared in search results, and how
> many times its full details have been called up.
>
> Are there any pre-existing Zope 3 tools for gathering
> site statistics? (I don't want to reinvent the wheel
> if I don't have to!)

No.

> If not, my current thought is to use annotations to
> store the statistics data - perhaps a couple of simple
> attributes for each accommodation object, which could
> be incremented each time it was searched for / shown
> in full as appropriate. Does this seem like a sensible
> approach in general? Any particular 'gotchas' I should
> be looking out for?

I would create statistic objects, since the database will grow very rapidly,
if the statistics are stored on the content objects. (Remember, every time a
Web site result occurs, the database entries are written.) You might also
want to think about storing your statistics in a regular file or use a
storage for the statistics that does not keep a history. There are some Zope
2 solutions for this sort of thing, so you might want to borrow ideas from
there. Of course it would be really nice, if you could post your results.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter