[Zope3-Users] Meaning of a Single "+" in a URL?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Mon Dec 5 06:39:37 EST 2005

I've got viewing of my component working and now adding works but I
don't quite understand how it is working.

I have the following URL, where 'ventures' is a container of mine.

   https://taupro.com/webaccountant/ventures/+/newventure.html

I want to display the form necessary to add a new entry to that
container, so I use the ZCML tag 'browser:addform'.  The writeup for the
'for' attribute of that tag in Philipp's book says:

   "Instead, add forms are registered by default for IAdding,
    the interface of the adding view (usually +)."

I'm not specifying that attribute, letting it default but does the '+'
represent a 'view'?  I thought 'newventure.html' was my auto-generated
view?  Or is a "form" something totally different from a "view", with a
separate utility registry?

And am I correct that we need '+' to disambiguate the following name
because otherwise in the case:

    https://somehost.com/container/somename

one can't tell whether 'somename' is a item "in that container" or an
"view on that container"?

I wish there was a one-page description of the breakdown of a Zope 3
URL, pointing out the various special characters you might find.  The
two Zope 3 books introduce them gradually but lacks a "URL Ref Sheet".
It would make a nice appendix in a 2nd edition of either of those books.

-Jeff