[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope3-dev] menus not working

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Feb 28 18:06:32 EST 2005

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> I've created a example of the non working menus and uploaded it to
> http://xgm.de/files/CS.tar.gz (3,4 KB). Here it is not working with revision
> 29342 from SVN.
> The example is so small that IMO no further explanation is needed. The menu is
> used in CS/skin/template.pt and registered in CS/skin/configure.zcml. This
> skin is used by CS/Linklist/browser/skin/linkfolder.pt or ./link.pt.

Hi Florian,

here are a couple of hints on how to debug this problem on your own:

- make the simples use case of a menu, a menu entry and the usage of
@@view_get_menu. And I mean the *simplest*. Your case is *not* the
simplest. I'm talking about one brain-dead simple package, one
configure.zcml and one very very dumb template. If you get that working,
evolve from there and see where it breaks.

- start with everything being publicly available (zope.Public), then
restrict on permissions and see where it breaks. Do the same with every
other possible fanciness: start with the simplest thing and evolve.

- once it breaks and you know where it breaks, you'll want to find out
why. Use a debugger like pdb to debug the @@view_get_menu view or other
code step by step. If you've really found a bug in the Zope 3 source,
file a bug report in the collector. Do not forget to also mention which
branch of Zope 3 you're using. The above info suggests you're using an
SVN install of a certain revision, but it doesn't say whether it's the
X3.0 branch or the trunk.

Giving some patience and a good approach to debugging, you'll find the
problem sooner or later. I'm sure it's just a very stupid little thing
like a typo.

Good luck,

Philipp