[Zope3-Users] questions on the security framework

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:07:02 EST 2005

On Thursday 30 December 2004 05:18, Sven Schomaker wrote:
> Since the message board is a container and the
> framework uses __setitem__ to add new objects
> to the container, how would one distinguish the
> permissions to add an announcement from the
> permission to add a topic with zcml or with
> explicit python coding.

I think this particular scenario is still an open issue.Our standard response
until now was to simply assert the security on the adding views. If people
cannot create an object in the first place, they cannot add it to the folder
either. But this solution does not seem right for some reason (maybe it is
though).

The better solution would be to make the message board not a container but
contain two attributes called `topics` and `announcements` which are folders.
Then you can control the access/mutation of each separately.

> Another question is about involving the workflow
> into the security system. As I was able to determine
> there is the possibility to configure permissions
> to cause state transitions using zcml. Thats fine
> so far, but how would one restrict e.g. the ability
> to modify messages once they have been submitted,
> i.e. bind the permissions on content-objects to a
> specific workflow state?

Security for an object is controlled via checkers. Checkers are registered for
a type of object. So clearly, if you do not change the type of object (which
would be one solution), you have to change the behavior of the security
mechanism. There you have two choices:

1. Write your own Security Policy.

2. Write a custom Checker class.

While (1) is not as hard to do as it may sound, I do not know how to do that
well, so I am just going to outline option (2). Instead of just using the
common `InterfaceChecker` class (`zope.security.checker`), you write a
checker that looks at the provided interfaces to allow access to an attribute
given a particular permission. One thing the workflow can do is to provide
and unprovide interfaces using the `directlyProvides()` method from
`zope.interface`. You will have to implement your own security ZCML
directives, though, to make this work.

> The next question is whether there is something
> like a build in role for the owner of an object or
> if there is the notion of ownership at all? For me
> this seems to be necessary if one would only grant
> permissions to modify an object if he/she is the owner
> of that particular object as it has been done in z2.

There is no concept of an owner in Zope 3.
See http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/NoOwnershipRole

> And last but not least is there the concept of local
> roles like it has been in z2?

Yes, there are local roles in Zope 3. This is also the way to implement the
Owner role. See the `zope.app.homefolder` code in the trunk for an example
how to set special permissions for a contetn object locally.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter