[Zope3-Users] woah... zcml O.D.

Leeuw van der, Tim tim.leeuwvander at nl.unisys.com
Thu Jun 23 03:29:04 EDT 2005

Hi Corey,

What I can say, with my really limited Zope3 experience, is that this amount of ZCML is comparable to the amount of XML config files needed for Java J2EE development (Enterprise Java Beans, anyone?).

So there's at least one other component-architecture which requires comparable sh**loads of configuration, for even less functionality (or perhaps I should say - different kinds of functionality?).
And for J2EE too, all this config-data is really the domain of the app.developers only, not the domain of any admin.

And in J2EE, you can really screw up your application by changing as little as 1 line in the config -- I imagine it's gonna be the same in ZCML.
And you won't even notice that you screwed up your app until you start testing with more load, more users, and suddenly the output is all wrong and the database corrupt and oops, some developer forgot to set some property here on one EJB bean and the database-access is done in the wrong way and transactions aren't held ... etc...

I'm not sure if this is typical for Component Architectures, but it is a trend seen in more places. And it requires you, as developer, to be coding simultanuously in two places: in the code, and in the config.

cheers and much luck getting through it,

--Tim