[Zope3-Users] need guidance

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Tue Nov 29 23:12:48 EST 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> Additionally, the ability to generate a new instance of a project
> complete with a fresh-and-ready ZODB is of immense value when
> working on a project with multiple developers or teams of
> developers. Several times, we have saved literally days of work
> taking advantage of this. I'm sure others that take even better
> advantage of this have saved perhaps weeks.

Yes.  You could also just check in a generated database into CVS and
use that with some of the same benefit but FWIW, I find the biggest
value in being able to review this kind of setup code is that it
serves as a kind of documentation as to *how* an iinitial database
got created.  Also, setup code is often complex and subtle because
it's "where the rubber meets the road" in a production
configuration.  Being able to replicate it on demand with subtle
changes (like port numbers and filenames) is valuable when you want
to roll out a system into production.

- C