[Zope3-Users] Using a ZPTPage with a View Class

Wade Leftwich wade at leftwich.us
Wed Oct 12 12:48:40 EDT 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Gary Poster wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2005, at 8:36 PM, Wade Leftwich wrote:
>
>> My general question is, is this a reasonable way to proceed? It  works
>> OK  with Benji York's Hello World example; in particular the  'view'
>> and 'context' namespaces seem to be complete. But Hello  World doesn't
>> exercise the code much. Is there another pattern I  should be using
>> instead? Have I overlooked a perfectly good  solution that's already
>> out there?
>

> Hey Wade.  Is your use case that you want to be able to develop the
> page templates TTW and then easily drop them down to the file system
> without change?  Seems like it would do the trick.

Hello Gary,

The general use case is that we want to drop a TTW Page Template into a
container and have all the instances of filesystem Content Type Foo that
are in that container use it for a View. I tried passing keyword args to
the existing ZPTPage class's __call__ method, but no joy.

> There are other possible approaches depending on your use cases and  on
> who is supposed to use the system, and I believe the desired way  to do
> this sort of thing in the future is probably to have a  persistent
> adapter registry that could look up views created and  configured
> through the web.

That does sound like the hot setup.

> It's a shame that you have to use a named adapter since the  interfaces
> are the same, but it is a reasonable workaround for now.   It's also a
> shame that the adapter has to subclass the ZPTPage class  just to get
> the namespace lookup code, but that's also understandable.

It seems to be working OK so far. Thanks for the reassurance that I was
not missing something obvious.

> Another approach might be to actually create a TTW ZPTPage template
> that constructs the namespace as expected by a filesystem based
> template.  I'm not sure why it doesn't work that way no, but I can
> guess.  In any case, that would mean your view could do less work.

I actually started to create a new ViewPageTemplateTTW class to parallel
ViewPageTemplateFile, but for now I want to be able to use existing TTW
templates. Besides, adapters are new and different and fun.

> Gary

Thanks --

Wade