[Zope3-Users] Re: problems getting started under Ubuntu 5.10

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 26 14:31:19 EDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:32:24PM -0500, Brad Allen wrote:

| Hi, I'm trying to get started with Zope3 under Ubuntu 5.10.
| The package manager for Ubuntu installed Zope 3.1.0-1.
| The first problem I had was creating a Zope instance.
| Here is what happened:
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------
| ballen at ubu:/usr/lib/zope3/bin$ ./mkzopeinstance --dir=$HOME/myzope
| --user=admin:mypwd
[...]
|   File
| "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/zope/app/server/mkzopeinstance.py",
| line 111, in process
|     os.chown(options.destination, uid, gid)
| OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/home/ballen/myzope'

Hrm.  That doesn't look good.  Usually only root can invoke 'chown'.
I wonder why it is trying to set the ownership.  When I have used the
mkzopeinstance zope itself (not from the package) it didn't try any
such thing.

| as the root user.

Correct.  While it is generally good practice not to run anything as
root, unless it absolutely has to be, running 'mkzopeinstance'
shouldn't be a large risk.

| Next, I wanted to start up the Zope instance. See transcript below:
|
| --------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| ballen at ubu:~/myzope$ ./bin/runzope
[...]
|   File
| "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ZConfig/components/logger/loghandler.py", line 34, in __init__
|     StreamHandler.__init__(self, open(filename, mode))
| IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/ballen/myzope/log/z3.log'

The zope server process needs to open the log file in append mode
(requires write access on the file).  Since mkzopeinstance set the
ownership to someone other than you, above, you can't write to the log
file.

| Ok, that didn't work. So, I tried starting Zope as sudo, which also
| didn't work. Here is the transcript:

Starting zope as root should work because the process will then have
access to the log file.

If you specify a user in the zope.conf file (or on the command line)
then zope will setuid() to the specified user.  This can be useful if
zope needs to bind to a socket <1024 (only root can do that) or if
zope is run from an init script.

| ballen at ubu:~/myzope$ sudo ./bin/runzope
[...]
|   File
| "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/zope/app/onlinehelp/onlinehelp.py",
| line 123, in registerHelpTopic
|     raise ConfigurationError(
| zope.configuration.config.ConfigurationExecutionError:
| zope.configuration.exceptions.ConfigurationError: Help Topic
| definition /usr/lib/zope3/lib/python/zope/interface/README.txt does not
| exist
|   in:
|   File "/usr/lib/zope3/lib/python/zope/app/apidoc/bookmodule/book.zcml",
| line 11.4-16.10
|       <bookchapter
|           id="interface"
|           title="Interfaces"
|           doc_path="README.txt"
|           parent="ifaceschema"
|           />
|
| So, I'm stuck. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

That looks like an installation (packaging) problem.  As an
intermediary workaround you could just comment out that <bookchapter>
tag and avoid this error.  If I were you, I'd talk to fabio and doko.
They've done a lot of work in making the packages (for ubuntu and
debian) so they'd be the primary ones to fix it.

HTH,
-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org