[Zope3-Users] ZODB storage ways

Marco Mariani marco at sferacarta.com
Mon Apr 3 13:13:30 EDT 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:

>> I am searching for a way to change transparently the storage of ZODB
>> from
>> file-base to a relational database. In general, Zope books state, that
>> this is possible.
>>

> one solution:
>
> <http://hathawaymix.org/Software/PGStorage>

Unfortunately, pickles are not even remotely a SQL datatype... :)

I guess many people just want a SQL backend to allow queries from third
parties in the way they are used to.

If I do NOT want to be able to modify the data via SQL, and performance
is not a concern (not huge systems..), wouldn't it be better to "adapt"
:-) the data structure to a DBMS backend, with sane natural keys, but
without the hassle of advanced integrity constraints?

After all, as Joe Celko says, a table is not a (file|class) and a row is
not a (record|instance).. the structure we manipulate objects in ZODB is
not always the one we would like to use to perform SQL queries.

I mean, not dumping the whole ZODB on the DBMS, but run a few SQL
commands whenever an object "the clerks are interested into" changes its
state or data, gets deleted or whatever.

This, and adding a dump function to wipe out and recreate the SQL DB
should we have the need (structure changes, whatever).

I've yet to look at zope events, maybe it can be done without too much
effort?