[Zope3-Users] ZODB storage ways

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Apr 3 16:52:42 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Reinhold Strobl <reinhold.strobl at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>I am searching for a way to change transparently the storage of ZODB from
>>file-base to a relational database. In general, Zope books state, that this is
>>possible.
>

> Yes. By changing the storage from FileStorage to something that stores
> pickles in an SQL database. Personally, I have never really understood
> why you'd want to do that. :)

- For online replication and availability (PGStorage theoretically
replaces not only FileStorage but also ZEO and ZRS)

- For size (FileStorage holds OID pointers in RAM, PGStorage doesn't)

- Because the code for FileStorage, ZEO, and ZRS is a bit scary ;-)

However, pickles aren't transparent, so PGStorage doesn't match the
requirements.

Shane