[Zope3-Users] development workflow

David Johnson djohnson at jsatech.com
Wed Apr 26 18:12:32 EDT 2006

I'm somewhat of a novice myself and big PHP fan, and I've found the tests
just as slow as restarting, and they don't always cover everything the way I
expect (although I think this may be due to my ignorance).  I spend a lot of
time in ZCML and they don't do so well there.  I think it is good practice
to write tests, but I've not worked up enough expertise to use them
effectively, and they therefore impede my development; I suspect my opinion
will change in time as I get more proficient.  I have found that you can
edit page templates without restarting, which helps tremendously.  The
restart process for me is about 5 seconds, so it's not that bad.  I've
developed a tremendous amount of code with Zope 3 in the last 3 months and
my process is then:

1. write code
2. restart zope
3. repeat