[Zope3-Users] Generate edit form from user setting

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 09:54:26 EDT 2006

> I also thought about that. But if I write an adapter from PreferenceGroup to
> IUserSettings to all that the adapter would do is to assign values the values
> from the PreferenceGroup to IUserSettings. Ok it's more generic but at the
> end the same like assigned the values to the request itself.

As long as the adapter is trivial, it can be handled with __getattr__
and __setattr__ instead of a bunch of individual properties.  That
also allows you to deal with evolution of the IUserSettings schema
more conveniently.

Another thing this buys you is that you're only dealing with
application-level values; the widget implementations become completely
irrelevant.  Many widgets use more than one control these days; that's
something you don't need to deal with this way.

> Is it okay to change self.context in the __init__ method of the view class
> with a PreferenceGroup object? (I just didn't know it it's not confusing the
> something in the ComponentArchitecture...)

Sounds possible, but fragile.  It should also be possible to
pre-populate the form's adapters dictionary (self.adapters).

  -Fred

"Every sin is the result of a collaboration." --Lucius Annaeus Seneca