[Zope3-Users] Re: Please Guido, pick me, pick me!

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Feb 2 15:07:45 EST 2006

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:00:04 -0000, Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> I hope your app is season-ready. :-)
>
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 11:50, Joel Moxley wrote:
>> Does this make sense?  It's only a small rebrand (and the Zope3 stays
>> intact) and an assembly of components that already exist.  Basically,
>> you can use this occasion as a coming out party... "Zope3 is here, and
>> we're for real".
>
> -1 for any renaming.

Just curious, but why? Also, he's not suggesting any renaming, only a
"codename" to distinguish Zope 3 from Zope 2. I mean, the leap between Z2
and Z3 is hardly a single major version in anyone else's book. It's more
like moving from Visual Basic to Python. Or something. (okay, poor
comparison, but it's a major paradigm shift)

>> Bottom line, I think the proof is in the pudding, and Zope3 quality is
>> superb so it's not going anywhere.  But a little better
>> organization/marketing to the outside world could go a long way.
>
> Actually, the Zope 2 and Plone community are starting using Zope 3
> heavily so
> the marketing will come.

I would like to think that every little help. Plone doesn't necessarily
market Zope (2), it markets itself as a CMS product. Plone developers are
unfortunately poor at contributing to CMF, let alone to Zope core. With
the amount of web frameworks out there (And the amount of CMS's) and the
amount of noise Ruby-on-Rails is generating, it would be a shame if Zope
lost out because no-one had time to make some noise about it. Those very
same Plone and Zope 2 developers will be more likely to push towards Zope
3 if they feel others are using it, are convinced it has a future, and are
convinced they will be able to collaborate with developers on unrelated
products.

Zope 2 and CMF buy-in is probably necessary for Zope 3 to grow, but I'm
not convinced it's sufficient. Or at least that we should settle for it.

Martin

--
(muted)