[Zope3-Users] New User: Zope 2, or Zope 3?

Chris Cogdon chris at cogdon.org
Wed Feb 8 18:05:11 EST 2006

Hi folks! I'm starting work on a from-scratch web application, and I'd
like to use this as a first-time-application using Zope.

(Actually, this is not really the first time... but my previous was
something really simple way back in the Zope 1 days, so... just pretend
this is first-time).

I'm trying to get started quickly (of course), and want to do it
reading as much documentation as possible, without depending on you
fine folk too much for help. From my research it seems that there's a
bunch of documentation and tutorials geared around Zope 2, but not
anywhere near as much for Zope 3, and Zope 3 seems a vastly different
beast than '2'.

So, my question is... should I stick with Zope 2 for the moment (with
its plethora of documentation), or dive right into Zope 3 and battle it
out (and depend more on the community for any lack of documentation)?
In particular, I DO want a decent tutorial to work through to get me
started (and I cant find one of any depth at all for Zope 3).

Or... can I use the Zope 2 tutorials to work through Zope 3 ??

My background: I'm a seasoned python developer, and have written my own
web-frameworks for various applications. This time I want to use
something more 'mainstream' so other developers on the project have
something 'familiar' to work with, or at least something that will be
useful to learn. The application will need to connect to a PostgreSQL
database, and would like some simple authentication plugins so
end-users of the application can create accounts, log in, and have data
restricted based on logins. Nothing much more fancy than that.

Thanks kindly for your consideration!

--
    ("`-/")_.-'"``-._        Chris Cogdon <chris at cogdon.org>