[Zope3-Users] What attributes are made persistent

Shaun Cutts shaun at cuttshome.net
Wed Feb 15 13:21:23 EST 2006

Well, one could have a base class along the lines of

class PersistSetItemOnAttributes:

    def __setattr__( self, attr, val ):
        oldSI = val.__class__.__dict__.get( '__setitem__', None )
        if oldSI is not None:
            def newSI( vself, vattr, vval ):
                vself._p_changed = True     # is this the right member?
                oldSI( vattr, vval )        # oldSI is bound: no vself?
            val.__class__.__setitem__ = newSI
        super( PersistSetItemOnAttributes, self ).__setattr__( attr, val
)

Of course, this is really just pseudocode. For one thing, need to trap
whether 'val' is really a class. For another if you were serious about
this, you would want to check if the obj wasn't persistent first, and
you might want to do it recursively. And while your are at it, you might
want to check on other mutators as well....(for instance, check first
what sequence interface if any 'val' supports...)

... sounds like too much work, and would be problem prone even so. After
all, some things you don't want to be persistent!

- Shaun