[Zope3-Users] Re: The Zope Software Certification Program and Common Repository Proposal

Stefane Fermigier sf at nuxeo.com
Tue Feb 21 05:38:21 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>Andrew Milton wrote:
>

>>+-------[ Stephan Richter ]----------------------
>>| Hello everyone,
>>|
>>| With the development of Zope 3, the Zope developers committed to a new
>>| development process and higher software quality guidelines. With the adoption
>>| of Zope 3 technologies in the wider Zope community, we should also start
>>| using the process for third party package development.
>>|
>>| I have spent the last two weeks working on a proposal that defines a Zope
>>| Software Certification Program (ZSCP) and a Common Repository that implements
>>| this process. The proposal is attached to this mail. I welcome any comments
>>| about it!
>>
>>So in order to even get your Open Source package LISTED, you have to sign over
>>the rights of your code to Zope Corp (currently, Zope Foundation later), and then
>>check it into the svn respository.
>>
>>Is this is correct?
>>

>No. The common repository under the wings of ZC/ZF is just *a*
>repository that implements the ZSCP. There can be others, for example
>the Plone repository, the collective repository (perhaps), etc.
>
>I had earlier suggested to Stephan that we should keep the common
>repository separate from ZSCP and there out of this proposal. IMO there
>should be a separate proposal for the common repository. I guess he
>didn't agree.
>
>I think both the ZSCP and the common repository (in the context of the
>ZF) are a great idea. We should try to have as much stuff as possible in
>the common repository, but we shouldn't make the process dependent on it.
>
>I'm therefore still suggesting to divide up the proposal.

+1

I specially like the ZSCP proposal. It is very similar to a project we
are involved in, the EDOS project (www.edos-project.org). I strongly
believe that it is a perfect match for the whole idea of having a
component architecture in the first place.

I also like the common repository idea, if it can provide the same level
of QA functions we currently have at nuxeo (trac.nuxeo.org +
buildbot.nuxeo.org), though I fear that Trac can't scale well to a
project spanning several important subprojects (here scaling means
providing both global views and by-project views of what's going on).

However, I believe like you Philipp, that both initiatives should be
decoupled.

  S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: +33 (0)6 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
Nuxeo Collaborative Portal Server: http://www.nuxeo.com/cps