[Zope3-Users] Re: [Zope3-dev] The Zope Software Certification Program and Common Repository Proposal

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net
Tue Feb 21 05:59:00 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 04:31:03PM -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:

Hi Stephan,

This seems to me a great step forward but I am missing something.
The quality is measured by a number of metrics, but it seems nowhere is
actually measured if the software does what it is supposed to do, if it is
clear how it works and whether it is something you would advise other
people to use.
This is one of the major problems I've had in the past with things like
the Perl CPAN repository: you can find lot's of modules that seem to solve
your problem, but usually you discover what a module is really about when
you've invested a lot of time in it.

Would there be room for a voting or feedback step in the process where
people that have tried the module could enter a rating?

> 1.2. Goals
[...]
>   * Quality Packages
>
>     There is a natural desire for any developer to know what they are getting
>     into when they are using a certain package, a baseline of quality that can
>     be expected. While the Zope 3 community has some ideas of what that
>     baseline is for the core, it is not well defined and applied uniformly. This
>     proposal defines clear quality guidelines.

[...]

> [...]
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Complete Documentation                   | Q     |      |  x   |  x   |  x   |
> | (Text files cover all of API)            |       |      |      |      |      |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Extensive Documentation                  | D     |      |      |      |  x   |
> | (lots of samples, API docs, tutorial)    |       |      |      |      |      |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Documentation available online [1]       | Q     |      |      |  x   |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Documentation available in Zope's apidoc | Q     |      |      |  x   |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Common package structure                 | A,Q   |  x   |  x   |  x   |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Follows Zope Coding Style Guide          | A,D   |      |  x   |  x   |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Conform to user interface guidelines     | D     |      |      |  x   |  x   |
> | (if applicable to package)               |       |      |      |      |      |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Complete dependency list                 | A     |      |  x   |  x   |  x   |
> | Released for at least 3 Zope releases    | D     |      |      |      |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Releases state required Zope version     | A,Q   |      |      |      |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Multiple (3) Active Maintainers          |       |      |      |  x   |  x   |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Data migration claimed                   | Q     |      |  x   |  x   |  x   |
> | (if applicable)                          |       |      |      |      |      |
> +------------------------------------------+-------+------+------+------+------+
> | Data migration auto-tested               | A     |      |      |  x   |  x   |
> | (if applicable)                          |       |      |      |      |      |
> | Data migration verified                  | D     |      |      |      |  x   |
> | (if applicable)                          |       |      |      |      |      |
> | Data migration well-tested               | D     |      |      |      |      |
> | (if applicable)                          |       |      |      |      | [2]  |

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v at n.leeuwen.net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud