[Zope3-Users] Tagging content

Igor Stroh igor at rulim.de
Sun Jan 8 08:32:12 EST 2006

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to implements a general
solution for tags (like tags on flickr or del.icio.us). So far
I've two different approaches, maybe someone could comment on
them:

1) Store the tags as attributes of the particular content types.
   Searching for tagged content is handled by a catalog index.
   New tags are created by simply adding them to the object,
   a collection of tags is the set of all tags from the catalog.
   Drawbacks: centralized tag management is inefficient, e.g.
   deleting a tag implies searching for the particular tag and
   removing it from all objects it was tagged with.

2) Store tags in a local utility. The utility manages a
   tag -> intids mapping (similar to a catalog index).
   Searching for tags is easy - just query the mapping
   for appropriate keys. New tags are created by adding
   a new key to the mapping, a (weighted) collection of
   tags is the list if mapping keys.
   Drawbacks: I can't think of any right now

Has anyone done that before? Maybe I'm just reinventing the wheel...

Thanks in advance,
Igor