[Zope3-Users] IRelationshipMapper

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Jul 10 22:09:44 EDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:42 PM, Pete Taylor wrote:

> Still, I'll look at it again, and at the zc.relation module that David
> mentioned earlier, and see if there's already work that's been done in
> this area.

zc.relationship. :-)  Slog through it: the relationship index is an
engine that could do the heavy lifting for what I understand you want
from a quick read of your blog.

A nice "intro to zc.relationship" blog entry or doctest would be a
much-appreciated contribution, btw.  The current README is a bit
overwhelming.

http://svn.zope.org/zc.relationship/trunk/src/zc/relationship/

I don't know about schooltool's relationship stuff--I can't use it
because of licensing, so didn't look at it.  It may or may not be
able to do what you are looking for too.

Finally, don't forget Jim's lament: he builds a nice object database,
with direct pointers, speed, and nice clear Pythonic spelling, and we
go off and build extrinsic relationship stuff that makes the ODB try
to be a second-class RDB. :-)  Sometimes it makes sense, when both
sides of a relationship are extrinsic to the objects involved, but
other times it's nice to remember that a direct Python reference is
the simplest way to make an intrinsic relationship.  Jim built the
nice-n-simple zc.extrinsicreference package for a good way to make
back-references to Python references.

Gary