[Zope3-Users] Re: Next steps...

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jul 24 04:56:08 EDT 2006

Tim Penhey wrote:
> On 7/24/06, *Philipp von Weitershausen* <philipp at weitershausen.de
> <mailto:philipp at weitershausen.de>> wrote:
>
>     Note that in newer Zopes we have a debug shell which saves you a lot of
>     typing. Simply execute "bin/zopectl debug" from your instance (you don't
>     even have to put $INSTANCE/lib/python on your PYTHONPATH), the
>     effect is
>     the same as the Debugger stanza you see in my book. zopectl debug wasn't
>     around when I wrote the first edition, unfortunately.
>
> Does this mean that a second edition is in the works?

Yup.

>     >> Given that I am writing my code somewhere different than my zope
>     instance,
>     >> how to I extend the default site.zcml to include my stuff?
>     >
>     > I'm sure that the debugger does much more, but after a few minutes
>     thinking
>     > about how to add things it seemed relatively obvious - just not
>     explicitly
>     > described anywhere.
>     >
>     > For the benefit of others:
>     >       - put your development directory in your PYTHONPATH
>     >       - add a <include package="xxx"/> in the site.zcml for your
>     package.
>
>     Indeed that's what you have to do (instead of editing site.zcml you can
>     also put a worldcookery-configure.zcml slug into etc/package-includes).
>     This is, btw, described in Chapter 2 as a necessary step for making the
>     examples work anyway (especially the interactive interpreter sessions).
>

> Sorry, missed the bit in chapter 2 about this, or had just forgotten by
> the time I needed to do it.
>
> Is adding the slug to the etc/package-includes the preferred way of
> extending then?

I wouldn't say that. It depends on your taste, really. I personally
prefer the package-includes approach for development environments; for
actual deployments I find having no package-includes at all, but instead
putting everything in site.zcml useful, because it's easier to see in
one place what's included and what not.

Philipp