[Zope3-Users] Re: Visionaire! (All your problems, solved)

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Thu Mar 2 20:50:35 EST 2006

Interesting. My angle on things is simplicity. I don't know or care
how it's reached as long as it's reached. (sort of)

You think the ONE package idea actually is confusing. You, as a
genuine real developer, find this mass of packages confusing. I
respect that.
Perhaps by having three packages instead of just one (ie. zope3)
structure and order is implied that you can use to your advantage.

The reason I prefer having one huge package in zope2 for stuff is
maybe because zope still isn't working very well with debian
packaging. Perhaps there's hope with Eggs? Maybe with eggs, when I
realise that I need CookieCrumbler I don't need to google for it to
manually download it from hathawaymix.org.

Chris M, you're the Eggs expert (or pretend to be for the sake of
this exercise). What do you think? Do you think we can use Eggs where
zope2 and debian failed?

On 3/2/06, Martin Aspeli <optilude at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:41:37 -0000, Peter Bengtsson
> <mail at peterbe.com> wrote:
>
> > It's been a while but the last time I installed Plone it came with
> > stuff like CookieCrumbler and Formulator.
>
> Heh, it no longer does :-)
>
> > What a bliss and time-saver!
> > It's not "unix-right" but I don't care, I have other stuff to spend my
> > precious time on such as coding.
> >
> > Making things simple will (and always has) be superior to making
> > things clinically correct in the computer industry.
> >
> > You point, Jeff, was that the Zope2 ZMI is "plaguing" the true Zope3
> > as you know it. I'm not worried about this personally. On most of my
> > zope2 products the ZMI is just used as a debug tool rather than
> > something clients get to work in.
>
> The thing is, you know that. I'm just learning zope 3 and will be using it
> principally via Five, and even after reading a book on it, the exact use
> of the ZMI and rotterdam and all that is still unclear to me. Is it meant
> to be part of my application or not? Is it means as an admin interface, or
> simply for bootstrapping?
>
> Martin
>
> --
> (muted)