[Zope3-Users] PyWebOff

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:04:24 EST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 02:27, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I've been assigned to present Zope in a local upcoming Python user group
> meeting.  As part of the assignment, I'm supposed to solve the PyWebOff
> challenge using Zope:
>
> http://pyre.third-bit.com/pyweb/challenge.html
>
> I'd like to do this using Zope 3.  However, I'm really struggling.  I
> feel like I must be using Zope 3 in a really dumb way, because the code
> so far is highly repetitive, completely dependent on Zope, and more XML
> than Python.  This is not going to go over well in the presentation.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to do this better with Zope 3?  Maybe my Zope 2
> experience is preventing me from seeing something obvious.  I've
> attached the __init__.py and configure.zcml that I created in a package
> called "challenge".

The problem here is that this challenge does some very standard things. It
does not require real programming. Thus you end up with more ZCML than you
might think. In my experience with SchoolTool, I learned that I spend for
more time developing Python (and developing doctests for that code) than
writing ZCML.

As you have probably seen from the recent discussions, Zope 3 does not scale
down well. I think once the new AGX is done (which will support Zope 3), then
this task will be a matter of developing a UML model.

Sorry, but I do not have a better answer.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter