[Zope3-Users] pau scenario

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Mar 28 13:35:21 EST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Pete Taylor wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been off working on some other projects recently (zope3 projects,
> but none that involved specific logins and users, just data capture
> from a public site), and just got back to working with PAU, and had an
> interesting scenario presented to me.  I'm trying to sell a
> co-developer on zope3, and we were discussing user management, roles,
> permissions, etc.
>
> after i finished extolling the virtues of zope3's user management
> system, he asked the following question:
>
> say you're operating a site as a portal to some set of functionality.
> similar functionality, but with different groups of people accessing
> it.  as an example, say different civic groups around town.  the odds
> of having a "john smith" at the Civic Media Center and a "john smith"
> at Center for Cultural Awareness (I'm making these up ;) ) are, for
> our example, very high.  what if we don't want to force each group to
> maintain unique logins across the board, since to each unique group,
> 'jsmith' is a perfectly unique signifier?  what if we want to create
> our login schema along the lines of "group, username, pass" instead of
> just unique username/pass?  is this feasible?
>
> I can't think of a way to do it, off the top of my head.  I admit, I
> need to spend more time thinking about it, but I was wondering if
> anyone else has come across anything similar?

There are three elements of the default pau set-up: user id, login,
and password.  user ids must be unique.  *Combinations* of logins and
passwords must be unique.  In theory, then, you can have

USERID jsmith.cmc LOGIN jsmith PASSWORD 123456
and
USERID jsmith.cca LOGIN jsmith PASSWORD asdfgh

That's the way I learned it last, anyway. :-)

Gary