[Zope3-Users] object i18n

Hassan Alirezaei hassan at isi.imi.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Nov 12 12:53:41 EST 2006

Sascha Ottolski wrote:
> Am Samstag, 11. November 2006 15:56 schrieb Hassan Alirezaei:
>
>> But the real problem is when two users want to have different
>> translations for the same english word. for example one user might
>> define "some-jp-equevalent" for "an english word" but another user might
>> want to have "some-other-jp-equivalent" for "an english word"...
>>
>> In the case of one translation domain setting "an english word" again
>> will override the original meaning. but I want to let every user has his
>> own translation for each word ...  I thought of having a domain for
>> every user but then thought maybe there is a more elegant (and easier)
>> way to do this.
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated.
>> hass
>>

> not exactly what you asked for, but the approach of
> http://zope3.mpg.de/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Zope/MpgSiteI18N might be one that
> could suit your needs. page is unfortunately in german language, though.
>
> the idea is to make the fields of content objects being able to carry an entry
> for several languages.
>
> hint: you may find the mpgsite sources at svn co
> https://svnserv.cbs.mpg.de/svn/edv/EDV/mpgsite, as explained on
> http://zope3.mpg.de/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Zope/MpgSiteInstallation
>
> hope it helps in a way.
>

> cheers, Sascha

Thanks Sascha. It was very useful. Although I can't read a single word
of German, but the code was talking for itself.

We can have different translations for every object of a class by using
only one translation domain.
The idea is to have a very complicated Unique ID (per object) per every
attribute(schema field) that will be the same ID used for translation.
then different translations can be associated to that ID (en, ja, de
etc.) . I think the mpgsite is taking this a step further by designing a
translation domain for every schema field regardless of which object it
is used in.... nice.

Thank you very much for the idea. I think the I18N schema field could be
included in the standard zope3 as well.  am I right?

Hass