[Zope3-Users] Looking for "best practice" in content indexing

Thierry Florac thierry.florac at onf.fr
Tue Oct 3 04:59:29 EDT 2006

  Hi,

I'm currently looking for a good content indexing method.
I'm OK concerning general Catalog usage, but I still have a few
questions ; I just hope that my english will be good enough for you to
understand what I mean... :
 - generally speaking, is it better to keep a single "big catalog", or a
set of many catalogs, each of them indexing a smaller set of classes ? I
suppose that querying is more simple with a single catalog, but what
about general performances ??
 - I have to index "main content", but also "reference" classes which
are used to classify my main content (example : I describe "forests" in
a first step and afterwards, my main contents can be affected to one or
more forests). In such a case, I want to make queries concerning forests
themselves, but also queries about main content concerning forests they
are attached to (to get, for example, every subject attached to a given
forest). In this case also, is it better to keep track of the reference
itself (myContent.forest = myForest) or of an attribute of the reference
(myContent.forestId = myForest.uniqueId) ??
 - perhaps a stupid question, but what's the best method to get the
equivalent of Zope2's "meta_type" indexing, to only get instances of a
given class, when queried indexes are applied to several classes
(example : I use adapters to handle workflow publication on a wide set
of classes, and I want to retrieve contents of a given class in a given
workflow step) ??

Thanks for your advises,

  Thierry Florac
--
  Chef de projet intranet/internet
  Office National des Forêts - Département Informatique
  Mél : thierry.florac at onf.fr
  Tél. : +33 01.40.19.59.64
  Fax. : +33 01.40.19.59.85