[Zope3-Users] Re: Intended scope of viewlets?

Alec Munro alecmunro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:54:11 EDT 2006

One more thing. When using this masterpage idea, what is the pattern
for creating new pages? For example, I would traditionally have:

MyObject/SubjectOne.html
MyObject/SubjectTwo.html
MyObject/SubjectThree.html

Registered with:

<page
    for="IMyObject"
    name="SubjectOne.html"
    template="subjectone.pt"
    />

Where "subjectone.pt" would probably start with something like the following:

Obviously, the above no longer applies, so what's the equivalent? My
initial thought, if I am sticking as close to the above paradigm as
possible, would be to have registrations for each that all reference
the same class, being the one that implements the interface my
masterpage is registered for. Something like the following:

<page
    for="IMyObject"
    name="SubjectOne.html"
    class=".MySkin.SimplePage"
    />

<page
    for="IMyObject"
    name="SubjectTwo.html"
    class=".MySkin.SimplePage"
    />

In some ways, this makes sense to me, but it leaves me unsure how to
properly differentiate the content on each page, without implementing
something on each ViewletManager that detects the name of the page
requested, and returns the appropriate content. Unless of course I can
register Viewlets or ViewletManagers to specific page names?

My guess is that the above pattern simply isn't applicable to the use
of viewlets, and there is something else I should be using. I will
investigate uses of viewlets, but if anyone knows the answer offhand,
I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Alec Munro