[Zope3-Users] Re: Zope 3 Distilled book update 3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Sep 8 08:56:00 EDT 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure a trademark like that can't be claimed. You'd be
>>> effectively trademarking a dictionary word, and I'm pretty sure
>>> that's not allowed...
>>
>> Let's see, looking through the first pages of my English dictionary,
>> it seems that "Apple" is also a dictionary word...
>
> Yes, and you'll also notice that Apple's trademarks are not just for the
> word "Apple"...

http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/appletmlist.html explicitly lists
the word "Apple" as one of their trademark.

The point is that trademarks have a domain. So Apple Computers Inc. can
trademark "Apple" for computers, Apple Records can trademark "Apple" for
music. When Apple Computers Inc. started doing things in the music
business, they got sued by Apple Records over a trademark issue. So,
clearly it is possible to trademark dictionary words. And to sue someone
over them :).

Philipp