[Zope3-Users] Buildout and custom python

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Dec 21 09:05:07 EST 2007

Am Freitag, den 21.12.2007, 08:30 -0500 schrieb Benji York:
> Darryl Cousins wrote:
> > I'm trying to created an isolated environment using buildout. I had
> > understood that defining a custom build python would ensure that all
> > eggs are installed and compiled with the custom python.
>
> An alternative to building Python with buildout is to build a single
> "clean" Python and use it for all their buildouts.
>
> Some advantages of this approach are that your buildouts take less time
> to build from scratch (no building Python every time), and are a bit
> smaller (by about 115MB on my system).  I keep lots of buildouts around
> (a few dozen), so those advantages add up.
>
> Of course it also lets you stay away from the generally "dirty" system
> Python (just as the Python-per-buildout strategy does as well).

And you can mix-and match: have buildout profiles that use your personal
`good` Python for development and production profiles that build it
themselves. OTOH this is somewhat controversial regarding test what you
fly, fly what you test ... ;)

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany