[Zope3-Users] Unicode for Stupid Americans (like me)?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Wed Feb 28 07:29:08 EST 2007

--On 28. Februar 2007 01:21:41 -0700 Jeff Shell <eucci.group at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>   - HOW do I know what a browser has sent me? There doesn't seem to be
> a real way of handling this. Do I guess?
>
> - Know without a doubt when to encode, and when to decode. I guess the
> "proper" thing to do is to store everything as unicode, and to decode
> to unicode as early as possible when input is coming in. But again,
> how do I know when to decode from latin-1 and when to decode from
> UTF-8? When or why should I encode to one or the other at response
> time? Should I worry at all?

There general rules are:

 - *always* use unicode strings (*NOT* UTF-8 encoded strings) internally for
   storage and processing

 - convert incoming data to unicode, convert outgoing data (for
presentation) from unicode to some output encoding

 - if you run a website using utf8 encoding (you ensure that the
content-type header include the 'charset' is set properly) you are on the
safe side that the data passed back is utf-8. In addition you might check
the 'accept-charset' header of the <form> tag.

-aj