[Zope3-Users] Extent catalog question

ksmith93940-dev at yahoo.com ksmith93940-dev at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 13:42:06 EST 2007

In my experience (zope2), large full textindexes require more and more cpu time for every new object added to the point where it takes several minutes for each new article uploaded!

To avoid this problem,  I was hoping to break the index into smaller pieces by using extent catalogs to filter by year. Can extent catalogs help mitigate a scaling issue like this?

I've been able to instanciate one extent catalog per year, but it doesn't automatically index content like a normal Catalog. It requires a manual reindex.
And to automate indexing content, do I need to implement something like these for an extent catalog?

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.indexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.app.intid.interfaces.IIntIdAddedEvent"
      />

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.reindexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.lifecycleevent.interfaces.IObjectModifiedEvent"
      />

  <subscriber
      handler=".catalog.unindexDocSubscriber"
      for="zope.app.intid.interfaces.IIntIdRemovedEvent"
      />

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Smith