[Zope3-Users] best practice for serving static content by front-end webserver?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 03:49:23 EST 2007

On 1/13/07, Sascha Ottolski <sascha.ottolski at lalisio.com> wrote:
> Now, when grepping the zope sources, and third party packages, the
> included files are spread around. that seems to make it impossible to
> write proper rewrite rules. if a request wants
>
>         /++resource++/image.gif
>
> the webserver couldn't possibly know if image.gif is found in
>
>         app/Zope-3.3.0/lib/python/zope/app/i18n/browser/
>
> or in
>
>         app/Zope-3.3.0/lib/python/zope/app/rotterdam/
>
> or in various other directories that carry images.

It seems that your objective is to not have Zope serve images. I think
the easiest way to do that is to use a cache that has a very long
cache-timeout for images. I've found "Varnish" to be very flexible and
useable.

The way to figure out where an image is located and then returning it
is called "traversal" and Zope already does that, and you are unlikely
to actually be able to make it signficantly faster that Zope already
does. ;)

--
Lennart Regebro: Python, Zope, CPS, Plone.
+33 661 58 14 64