[Zope3-Users] recipe for handling of SMTPRecipientsRefused

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Jan 16 14:29:30 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:11:53PM +0100, Sascha Ottolski wrote:
> the default QueuedMailDelivery is not very smart when it comes to error
> handling. If a mail with a problematic recipient address made its way
> in to the queue, it will sit there forever, and the
> QueueProcessorThread will try to send it out every so often, until one
> takes manual action. Obviously it would be nice it this could be
> automized. My be someone's got a hint?
>
> In fact I'm wondering if this particular case might simply be a
> mis-configuration issue: I would think the mailserver (postfix) on
> localhost should queue the mail and handle that problem, instead of
> rejecting it in the first place (in my concrete example, the recipient
> has a remote domain that apparently does not exist).
>
> However, I think other situations will arrive were the queueprocessor
> should be in charge to handle it, if only by counting the failures for
> a queued mail and giving up on it after x tries.

You are right, this is a bug in the Zope 3.  If the mail delivery thread
gets a 5xx error code from the SMTP server, it should discard the email.
If it gets a 4xx error code, it should retry, and then give up after
some time.

Is the issue reported to http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev?  If
not, could you report it there?

Marius Gedminas
--
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms