[Zope3-Users] Re: Introducing z3c.form - widget snippets

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sat Jul 14 09:10:31 EDT 2007

On Saturday 14 July 2007 03:55, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > Not true, I think. :-) z3c.form widgets are not callable; they only have
> > a "render()" method.
>
> Aargh.  You know, you're breaking people's assumptions about what form
> and widgets are and how they behave by introducing new ones that behave
> differently but are called the same.

Huh? Who says that zope.app.form can have the only definition of what widgets
and forms mean? So the ToscaWidget guys should have really used a different
name for widgets, because they do not fuilfill that API? And even closer to
home, formlib should not have used the term "form" in their library name
because it is not compatibly with zope.app.form?

Widgets and forms are generic terms for a UI/programming patterns. I have
never claimed that z3c.form would be backward compatible to any older APIs.
The main goal of z3c.form is to support some advanced use cases and fix
design defficiencies of the old API, for example the "update/render bug".
Further, Roger and I find it to be a security hole that so many
presentation-related components are callable, because that makes them often
available via public URLs when not desired.

> > See z3c.macro. It is an attempt to make the use of macros simpler.
>
> Do you blog?  A Planet Zope 3 with people boasting about great new
> packages they created would be a good way to familiarize with the new
> great packages.  (A mailing list is also full of discussions and
> questions, and due to its higher volume, harder to track.)

No, all my writing energy goes into writing doctests these days. :-( I always
tell myself I should blog, but I cannot get myself to do it. I already do not
even have enough energy to get involved in most zope3-dev discussions.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter