[Zope3-Users] Building an admin interface

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:32:40 EDT 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 12:29, Florian Lindner wrote:
> - What skins to use?

Don't use any of the shipped skins at all. You may want to start with
z3c.layer.minimal or z3c.layer.pagelet (if you are using pagelets) to get
some initial registrations like error pages, widgets, etc.

> - How should authentication be done?
> Just rely on the authentication source being around and use it  with
> getUtility(IAuthentication)?

That's good, though for custom projects I always create a custom site object
and use some mechanism, like z3c.configurator, to add a configured
authentication utility.

> - How to design my ZPTs to make them fit in the skin/interface?

That depends on the UI pattern you decide to use. There are several choices:

- Use macros to define O-wrap, bits and pieces and so on. This is the way the
default skins are done.

- Use viewlets to do the entire UI.

- Use pagelets to do the entire UI.

For a simple, non-portal application, I would choose the last option.

> - What else to pay attention to?

Don't anticipate! And don't over-engineer the UI! Get something working that
works for your specific project.

Regards,
Stephan
--