[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 12:15:53 EDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Stephan Richter <srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:
> On Monday 30 July 2007 09:59, Jeff Shell wrote:
> > Last time I checked, which I admit has been a while, buildout didn't
> > provide any examples of how to transition into buildout style
> > development.
>
> I agree we are totally lacking At the one end we push hard for people
> to use eggs -- even make the Zope 3 trunk checkout totally useless --
> and on the other hand we are providing zero documentation on how to
> get started.

Getting started as eggs is one thing. Moving code that is not in an
egg format is another, particularly in a system like CVS which is
brain dead about directories. But I think I just need to revisit the
CVS manual for this.

We're stuck with CVS for now, for better or worse. And my vague
understanding of development eggs (which is next to nil) is that
they're biased towards SVN. With good reason, I guess, since SVN
changeset numbers apply to whole checkouts versus CVS's individual
file versioning. But I may be wrong about this.

> The common answer you will get is: Look at all the SVN packages,
> there are many examples. I think this is a horrible thing to
> say. Unfortunately there is a big push behind using egg-based
> development without taking care that all bases are covered. I think
> this is because most development is driven by customer requirements
> these days and not by the "academic purity" (as people called it) with
> which we started developing Zope 3. I guess this is a good and a bad
> thing.

We have that problem too, which is why we seldom have time to keep on
top of all developments. To date, expediency and easy patching have
been the order of the day which is why our system has been in place
for so long.

But as we're stepping up in scalability and complexity of deployment
setups in order to distribute load and responsibility, I keep wanting
to check out buildout. But... it's scary.

--
Jeff Shell