[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jul 30 13:02:36 EDT 2007

On 30 Jul 2007, at 17:19 , Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 30 July 2007 09:59, Jeff Shell wrote:
>> Last time I checked, which I admit has been a while, buildout didn't
>> provide any examples of how to transition into buildout style
>> development.
>
> I agree we are totally lacking  At the one end we push hard for
> people to use
> eggs -- even make the Zope 3 trunk checkout totally useless --

How is it useless? It still works, no?

> and on the other hand we are providing zero documentation on how to
> get started.

Zero documentation is a bit unfair. zc.buildout has had a README.txt
and a CheeseShop homepage for a long time (> half a year). There are
dozens of zc.* and z3c.* packages in svn.zope.org for which the same
doesn't hold true.

The README.txt may have been spartan in the beginning, but even the
version in the half-year old 1.0.0b17 release (the oldest one
available on the CheeseShop) explains how to

* install an egg and an interpreter launcher that has that egg on its
sys.path

* work with a development egg

Apart from a testrunner, this is usually everything you need to know
to get started with simple packages. Of course you need to know about
eggs, but those are well-documented, too (heck, even in my book).

Jim also wrote a tutorial (you link to it below). Admittedly it's not
very visible. We should change that. You, I and the others who know
about it already are all equally guilty of not having spoken up and
promoted it so far.

Baiju M, by the way, has written two blog posts with code examples on
how to deploy a Zope 3 web application from eggs and how to make life
easier with zc.buildout [1,2].

[1] http://baijum81.livejournal.com/19795.html
[2] http://baijum81.livejournal.com/20551.html

So, in all fairness, there's stuff out there (apart from the numerous
packages that are in svn.zope.org and that can serve as good
examples). Though I agree it needs to be consolidated a bit, brushed
up and publicized.