[Zope3-Users] Re: Using svn checkout with zc packages

Mon Jul 30 13:14:46 EDT 2007

Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2007 schrieb Philipp von Weitershausen:
> On 29 Jul 2007, at 21:06 , Florian Lindner wrote:
> >>
> >> Of course you can get a checkout of any package you wish from
> >> svn.zope.org, including the zc.* packages. However, they'll likely
> >> have
> >> dependencies which you will have to resolve as well. Some might also
> >> define entry points which means they really want to be installed
> >> as eggs.
> >>
> >> Why do you use checkouts? Do you actually change the packages while
> >> you're developing with them?
> >>
> >> Have you looked at zc.buildout? Checkout the tutorial [1]. Also,
> >> pretty
> >> much any zope.* or zc.* package's sandbox is set up using buildout
> >> these
> >> days, providing you with lots of examples.
> >
> > I'm fine with easy_install for installing Zope3 and the z3c
> > packages but at
> > this time I don't want to use it for my own projects.
> > But when I install Zope3 (for example by easy_install
> > zope.component) I don't
> > find any mkzopeinstance. I know about zopeproject but that creates
> > an egg
> > what I don't want. How can I get mkzopeinstance with easy_install?
> > I haven't
> > found anything in PyPi.
>
> It seems that you you want to install Zope 3 from eggs but don't want
> your own projects to be eggs (hence you reject zopeproject). I don't
> quite see the point of that reasoning. The whole idea of Zope being
> available in egg form is that we can use egg machinery (deployment,
> dependency management, etc.) for your own projects.
>
> Anyway, mkzopeinstance isn't available when you install Zope 3 from
> eggs because it's not egg-aware. It's completely geared towards the
> full tree installation (from tarball or checkout). And frankly, as I
> pointed out in the paragraph above, it doesn't make that much sense
> in an egg-centric world anyway. I suggest zopeproject or the
> zc.buildout recipes from zc.zope3recipes as alternatives.

Hi!
What I want is:
- have an runnable Zope3. I don't care if it is an SVN checkout, a released
version or as an egg
- be able to use the z3c packages
- don't need to work in a new build architecture

It seems that these requirements are diametrically opposed. I suppose working
in the zc.buildout appears to be the least evil (or even a good at the end)
in your eyes, isn't it?

> P.S.: I can't recommend easy_install because that will install eggs
> into the global site-packages location (which is rarely a good idea
> when you're deploying Zope). Unless of course you use workingenv or
> virtual python.

I have modified my pydistutils.cfg:

florian at horus ~ $ cat .pydistutils.cfg
[install]
install_lib = ~/python/lib/python2.4

# This next line is optional but often quite useful; it directs EasyInstall
# and the distutils to install scripts in the user's "bin" directory.  For
# Mac OS X framework Python builds, you should use /usr/local/bin instead,
# because neither ~/bin nor the default script installation location are on
# the system PATH.
#
install_scripts = ~/python/bin

I'm ok with using something else than easy_install but actually I got no glue
about how to get Zope on my machine now and how to install additional
packages without easy_install. Is there a basic starter anyway. I know Jim's
introduction to zc.buildout but it doesn't help with this point.

Regards and thanks!

Florian